What You Need to Know to Get Started with Dolby Atmos for Music Production in Canada
Concerts and live shows have been on the sidelines for almost two years, but the rate of music production in Canada has skyrocketed. As a result, musicians and producers are working at a feverish pace to meet the increased content demand from fans and downloadable and streaming platforms.
But with higher demand comes a greater expectation of quality. Remote audiences are not as forgiving as those experiencing multi-sensory live music in person. To rise to the challenge, artists are searching for a more advanced and immersive music production format that works seamlessly with industry-leading digital audio workstations (DAWs) such as Avid Pro Tools and others.
That format is Dolby Atmos Music.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
“Dolby Atmos Music allows you to create a fully encompassing soundstage, which makes listeners feel like they’re inside the music.”
Below, find our review of Dolby Atmos Music, the solution’s most compelling benefits, and everything you need to know about this game-changing format. If you have any questions or would like personalized advice, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Dolby Atmos Music empowers you to push your creative limits
You have a vision, and Dolby Atmos Music enables you to create a finished product that sounds just as you’d imagined. How? With best-in-class technology that allows you to place, move, and rearrange sounds in space with razor-sharp precision. Dolby Atmos delivers so much more than traditional surround sound. From creation to playback, you have more space and more freedom to experiment with. Three-dimensional sound design gives you a broader palette, opening the door to new creative pathways, opportunities for unique expression, untapped business openings, and a canvas on which to reimagine your most cherished tracks. The immersive, object-based sound format empowers you to capture your artistic vision fully. The results are nothing short of inspired.
Dolby Atmos Music cultivates a deeper connection with fans
With live music more or less on pause at the time of this writing, music fans are seeking immersive audio experiences from the comfort and safety of their own homes. This is not likely to go away post-pandemic. They are searching for richness and authenticity, or as Dolby Professional puts it, they want to feel like they are inside the music. Dolby Atmos Music delivers just that.
What’s more, this format is supported by leading music streaming services – including Amazon Music, Apple Music, and Tidal – giving your fans access to both new music and favourite songs complete with never-heard-before details.
Dolby Atmos Music integrates seamlessly with major DAWs
Dolby Atmos Music is available with native integration or as a plug-in, ensuring you can quickly and easily integrate the technology into your existing workflow.
- Plug-in: The Dolby Atmos Music Panner is available as an AAX, AU, or VST 3 plug-in compatible with Avid Pro Tools, Apple Logic Pro, Steinberg Nuendo on the Apple Mac platform, and Ableton Live.
- Native integration: Dolby Atmos workflows can be enabled via native integration with Steinberg Nuendo and Avid Pro Tools
The highly compatible Dolby Atmos mixing system requires three key components:
- A DAW: This is where you create your mix and leverage high-powered three-dimensional panning to position your sounds in space and build an immersive listening experience
- Dolby Atmos renderer: The Dolby Atmos metadata is sent from your DAW to Dolby Atmos Renderer, which converts your object-based mix for monitoring. Both built-in and stand-alone renderers are compatible.
- Monitoring system: Experience sound with up to 22 speaker outputs and binaural support for headphone monitoring.
Dolby Atmos Music offers different solutions for different needs
The Dolby Atmos Renderer software helps you monitor your mix and create and export the Dolby Atmos Master Files you need for delivery. Depending on your setup and needs, Dolby Atmos offers several distinct renderer solutions:
- Dolby Atmos Production Suite: This macOS software works with your DAW via Core Audio using the Dolby Audio Bridge. It supports binaural rendering so that you can get started with just a pair of headphones.
- Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite: This dedicated hardware option is a top choice for those working in larger studios or with complex workflows.
- Native rendering built-in to your DAW: Some DAWs that include the newest versions of Blackmagic Resolve or Steinberg Nuendo (both of which are available from Annex Pro) have a builtin Dolby Atmos Renderer. That means no additional software is required to create and deliver threedimensional sounds.
Dolby Atmos Music pairs with Avid Pro Tools for music producing perfection
Avid Pro Tools is the perfect companion if you want to get even more out of the Dolby Atmos Music format. The cutting-edge Pro Tools end-to-end solution has revolutionized the way artists create, refine, and mix music and other sounds in Dolby Atmos.
In partnership with Dolby, Pro Tools has intelligently integrated Dolby Atmos functions directly into its Pro Tools | Ultimate toolset. The Pro Tools hardware, intuitive software, and Avid control surfaces interlock seamlessly, delivering a truly unparalleled immersive mixing experience. Better yet, because the integration is comprehensive, even a minimal setup in a small environment can leverage the power of Pro Tools
The standout feature of the Avid Pro Tools and Dolby Atmos Music integration is the tactile control capabilities. Pan objects freely in three-dimensional space using dual-touch sensitive joysticks and mix and render your sounds on one single computer.
Why Choose Annex Pro to Get More from Dolby Atmos Music
At Annex Pro, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your artistic vision and give your fans the allencompassing music experience they crave with next-gen technology.
Our team of passionate specialists has worked closely with creative professionals in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg and all across Canada to build practical and inspiring workflows. With strategic partnerships with the industry’s key players and highest quality suppliers, we give you exclusive access to the tools you need to create and thrive.
We are on standby and ready to discuss your needs in both official languages and build a tailored musicproducing solution. We can answer your questions about Dolby Atmos for music production and explain in English and French how Avid Pro Tools can enhance your overall experience. Contact us today to get started.